[ale] Browser compatibility? (was: Wachovia web banking seemsto be fixed with Mozilla)

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Aug 9 16:20:28 EDT 2002

I would recommend finding a way to make it work for the older browsers
like Netscrape 4.x as shipped with RedHat and installed by zillions of
people. Not everyone is upgrade happy.

An article I found (and now can't locate in my bookmarks) pointed out
the obvious about web page design. The information that is being sent
out is either text or pictures. Simplicity pays off greatly in the form
of readability. The web is a radically different medium than print is.
It is more transient. Thus the attempt to make a web page look like
something done on print is folly.

I also think that if more pages were designed to use the basic
standards, instead of the newer, needs-more-testing ones, maybe the
browser writer would get all the bugs squashed!

But anything that requires javascript to "see" the page at all should be
strictly forbidden!