[ale] Gentoo and 802.11b

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 9 12:21:04 EDT 2002

Hey folks,

I'm trying to get my Compaq laptop running Gentoo. I
can boot fine, and bring up PCMCIA services and
cardmgr. But it insists on using the orinoco_cs
driver for my LAN card instead of the wvlan_cs
driver that I use under Slack. That would be fine,
except that I need to set the ESSID, and I have
no man page for the orinoco_cs driver that would
tell me how to do that. With wvlan_cs, the
module parm "network_name" does it, but orinoco_cs
won't recognize that parm. Anyone know how to
set the ESSID for the orinoco driver?

Thanks,

-- Joe