[ale] Being used in a DOS attack against others

Bao C. Ha bao at hacom.net
Thu Aug 8 15:03:19 EDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 02:21:32PM -0400, David Bronson wrote:

Hi Michael,

If the IP of the sender is static, you can just blackhole it.
You can also have procmail to blackhole the bounce mails to
a certain domain.

Personally, I don't think it is a problem.  It is a normal
behavior for the mails to be bounced back.  It is only a
problem when it becomes double-bounced and so on.  I think
the sys admin at attackedcompany.com should be the one to
reconfigure his mail server to temporarily dropping all of
the MAILER-DAEMON mails.  It is not reasonable to contact
everyone involved while they can do a much better job at
their end.

Thanks.
Bao

--
Bao C. Ha                    voice: (310) 675-3510
8D66 6672 7A9B 6879 85CD  42E0 9F6C 7908 ED95 6B38