[ale] Setting up DHCPD under RH 7.3

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Aug 7 18:23:47 EDT 2002

I probably need to have my head examined for lice, and questionalable
ideas of
sanity. For giggles, chuckles, and a little learning, I've decided to
run dhcpd on
the home network, and I'm getting next to nowhere. I've hit Red Hat's
site, and
printed out the docs I found there concerning dhcp, and still don't get
something important.

The current error on starting dhcpd through the initscripts complains
about not having
a zone defined for eth0. As I was understanding things, adding
DHCPARGS=eth0 to
the file /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd elimates the need to refer to eth0.
Obviously I'm
wrong about something...

/etc/dhcpd.conf currently reads (with an obvious modification 8-)

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
	}
group {
	}
host intel2 {
	fixed-address 192.168.0.2;
	hardware ethernet 55:55:55:55:55:55;
	}

What I want (at this instant that is) to setup a lan off eth1 on the
192.168.0.0
private network addresses, and currently ignore any chance of assigning
addresses on the eth0 interface.

Clues, help, tutorials are appreciated. Thanks to one and all.