[ale] Problems with Sony laptop ethernet under Linux

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Wed Aug 7 17:04:53 EDT 2002

I've got a Sony VAIO PCG-FX200 dual booting Win2K and RedHat 7.2. Under windows the
ethernet has no problems. Under linux, however, it simply can't handle any bandwidth and locks up.
Both win2k & redhat recognize the built-in ethernet as an Intel Pro/100 VE and load the correct
drivers.

Under linux, I'll ftp a big file. After a few MB it locks up and goes nowhere. At that point I can't ping
or do anything over the network in any other session on the computer. It's like the TCP/IP stack is
locked up. Eventually it will timeout and start transfering again only to lock up very shortly. I get the
follow messages in /var/log/messages:

kernel: eepro100: wait_for_cmd_done timeout!
last message repeated 24 times
kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timeout!
kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050 0c80 at 98
kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050 0cf0 at 99