[ale] RE: [OT?][ale] smart routers?

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 7 15:45:40 EDT 2002

I hate to burst your bubble, but I seriously doubt that you will ever be
able to get the throughput that exists in specilized router hardware by
using generic PC hardware.  If you only needed to route between 2 or 3
different networks, at no greater then 100Mb Ethernet speeds then a PC
(as is) should be fine.  Once you get into routing multiple 1000Mb
ethernet (not to mention the new 10Gb ethernet that has just been
standerdized) you will need to do what the big cisco routers do, and
route in hardware using specilized crossbar switch circuits and
whatnot.  It may suprise you, but most high end Cisco equipment has a
dinky CPU in it.  Even the low end stuff (say a T1 router, the 2xxx
series) only has a CPU as powerful as a 286 (a 68360 to be exact), the
higher end routers only have CPU's as powerful as a Pentium 1 in them
(in fact, an Ascend router I looked in had a P100 in it, and it could
route over 32 10/100 networks at once, thats 32000Mb/s throughput!).
All the routing work in the higher end routers is pushed off into
hardware.  PCI bus will never be able to have the bandwidth (not to
mention latency issues) that would be required to route that kind of
traffic...

Mike