[ale] Blocking M$

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 7 09:08:31 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 03:17 pm, Greg wrote:
> Could I ask why aren't you running PhotoShop on a Mac G4 ?  I talked to
> their rep and their version of PhotoShop is built for OS X.

You want the long answer or the short one? <grin>

Until OS-X Macs crashed far more often than Windoze boxes;
Until OS-X no readily available command line;
Dollar for dollar, Macs are slower;
My current box is a dual-boot RH7.3/Win2k with a
p4-1.6gh Intel chip. A Mac with equal throughput running
Photoshop would have cost twice as much -- and I am leery
of the existing deal between M$ and Apple.
But I do covet the latest wide-screen Apple flat-panel
monitor. <sigh>

Since v. 5.0 the two versions of Photoshop have been
essentially identical -- allowing for the differences in
the keyboards.

I only use Win2k for graphics work. Everything else I have
moved to the Linux partition -- except for faxing; I have
yet to locate software for Linux that integrates with my
scanner so I can easily scan in and "print" to the fax
multiple page documents.  Single page documents
are easy to handle, but there are damn few single page contracts
these days.

Sean