[ale] gentoo lunix?

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Wed Aug 7 06:43:51 EDT 2002

I am assuming the original questioner meant Gentoo L[i]nux, not l[u]nix..

Gentoo is not *nearly* that bad - in fact, all it does is make you use the
command line during install.  The worst thing about it imho is having to
manually input information for your Video card and monitor - coming from the
Winbloze world, and having my first experiences with Linux be with distros
that do this automatically for you, it just didn't make sense that something
that is so simple in Winbloze is so complex in Linux.  It would be really
nice if they had a tool that would auto-detect these and automatically set
up the config files.  Imho, X, and the problems with video and Fonts is
Linux's biggest problem to be overcome before it can truly start vying with
Winbloze for Desktop market share.

The one biggest advantage to its install process is, you learn far more just
installing Gentoo than you do in weeks, or even months of installing/playing
with a 'normal' distro like Redhat.

Also, one other thing it will do that most others won't (because you
normally never compile huge things like X or KDE with them) is find bad
memory in your machine, even if memtest or some other mem tester says it is
ok.

Charles