[ale] RE: [OT?][ale] smart routers?

Stephen Turner artic_knight at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 22:29:24 EDT 2002

sorry to take such a large message but my post is in relation to all :)
anyways, i was looking into turning a pc into an industrial strength
router but it seems that the pci bus limits it to 33 mhz which is pitiful
compared to routers. just as well i wouldnt want to include a full fledged
computer in the mix, i looked at some embeded and sbc's and they didnt
turn up much either, very limited in thier support for my idea, ive come
to the conclusion a new mother board or sbc will need to be constructed
using cheep pc parts and with the ability to use pci card slots they will
be quite expandable and versetile, i believe with a design i have in
progress i can have a 1u supporting a wider range of ports and many more
ports than current routers however by what i hear to fully deck it out
would be quite over kill. :) needless to say im looking into it, i wonder
how long this project will last tho, in most cases i find a dead end and
quit. if i can get this going tho by theory it would offer much more
through put and flexability and give networking a power it has yet to see
:) yet just one more step on the evolutionary ladder of computers eh? my
objective is to get a 1u pc to replace a router and be better in every
way. not sure if its possible but eh, :) and with the wide range in
vendors it should make routers cheeper. i hope :-p