[ale] gentoo lunix?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Tue Aug 6 22:11:23 EDT 2002

I've managed to do a couple of installs but I haven't gotten X going
under it yet (I went on to other things, basically :-) ).

I applaud those who would actually make and use a Gentoo desktop, but at
this point, my primary interest in Gentoo is using it to make
single-purpose servers.  I imagine that the next file server I generate
will be Gentoo-based.  I think that Linux newbies should at least see a
Gentoo installation done if for no other reason than to wrap their heads
around just how elemental Linux can be and how far Open Source concepts
can be taken.

Yeah, and prepare for some LONG waits.  You wouldn't want to do a Gentoo
installation every day.  The instructions suggests naps and some
PlayStation 2 game.  Good way to shake down your hardware.

One thing that can help you out is copying down the Gentoo install tree
from the mirror of your choice and setting up your own mirror.  If you
look in the forums, there is something about what file to edit to add
your mirror to the top of the list.

- Jeff