[ale] RE: [OT?][ale] smart routers?

Jonathan Glass jbjrglass at cox.net
Tue Aug 6 21:48:22 EDT 2002

<stream of consciousness>
Interesting that you'd mention this.  My business partner and I have
been looking into this.  We have been trying to figure out how the best
way of deploying a 1U firewall/router.  The major point we've been
discussing is whether to make the router diskless or not.  I was
thinking it would be awesome to have the router software running off a
Bootable cdrom, but then I need to figure out how to update things
dynamically.  Some distros use a floppy...hmm.  I still have to be able
to redirect all logging to another host, as well as redirect all HTTP
traffic transparently to a squid circle.

I wonder how small a linux install with squid, snort and iptables?

Anyone else feel like playing with something like this?  Any thoughts on
how to best deploy linux from ROM media while allowing customization?
</stream of consciousness>

Jonathan