[ale] cdrw problems

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 6 18:35:06 EDT 2002

George Johnson wrote:

> hda: WDC WD84AA, ATA DISK drive
> I recently installed RH7.3 via cdrom.  I then added a cdrw and tried to edit
> the grub.conf file and kernel to ide-scsi so that xcdroast would work.  It
> still does not work.  Dmesg sees the drives:
>
> hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6702B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdd: YAMAHA CRW4416E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
>
> But at the end of the dmesg file I see the following:
>
> ide-cd: ignoring drive hdc
> ide-cd: ignoring drive hdd
> hdc: driver not present
> ide-cd: ignoring drive hdc
> ide-cd: ignoring drive hdd
> ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
> hdd: driver not present
>
> What is going on here?  It saw the orig cd drive when I installed the it.

Usually, CDRW requires that you disable the IDE driver
on one or more interfaces, and enable the ide-scsi
emulator instead. If you've done the disable part,
the IDE driver will give you messages like the above
upon boot. To use your CD drive (for reading or
burning), you need to (1) ensure the ide-scsi driver
is available, either by configuring it into the kernel
or else "modprobe ide-scsi"; and (2) access your
drives as /dev/scdN, where N=0,1,etc.

HTH,

-- Joe