[ale] OT: Microsoft moves to comply with DOJ settlement deal]

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Aug 6 15:58:06 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 15:50, Geoffrey wrote:
> Fulton Green wrote:
> > Yeah, but the inline comments also mentioned that the APIs would be fee-
> > based, so that was what I was calling attention to.
>
> That's why I suggested you check out the url, which does indicate the
> free api's.
>

> Maybe the original
> > poster to the newsgroup was describing another set of APIs. Not that it
> > matters a whole lot; turns out even the most basic Visual Studio .NET
> > package will set you back at least $600 (or $1000 if you don't have an
> > upgrade path). There are stand-alone editions of Visual C++ and Visual C#
> > for $110 each, but still, why should I have to pay for the privilege of
> > developing for M$ OSen when I can develop for Linux or Java for free?!?

Because employess at M$ have Children, Spouses, etc.. They need food and
shelter and nice cars.  But I totally agree on Non-profit = Non-Fee.
Profit = Fee.  Even on the OpenSource side I feel this way.  Which could
be a little strong. If you want to make a buck on someone's free
contribution, then they need a piece of that pie.