[ale] hey router gurus :)

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Sun Aug 4 19:44:52 EDT 2002

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Stephen Turner wrote:

> got a rather wierd question, know where i can find like, the physical
> specs of a router? like how it works sorta thing? like how they are able
> to take soo many ports and run them through the cpu er what have you and
> do the processing and how it generally works? im really interested to
> learn more about routers other than what cisco is telling me. thanks in advance!

Cisco pretty much wrote the book on routers. Sure, they were not the first
by a long shot...but nowadays, if you're talking routers...your talking
Cisco. Whatever they are telling you is without a doubt, the way things
work. The best way to look at is very simple. A Cisco router is nothing
more than a souped up, ubercool, hotrod x 10, computer designed to run
Cisco IOS. The overall function is not much different from *nix, on a low
level. It's at the higher levels that IOS begins to separate itself from
the pack.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security