[ale] Ignorant Newbie

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sun Aug 4 09:33:58 EDT 2002

On Saturday 03 August 2002 09:11 pm, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if there's a class somewhere that gives you an
> introduction to Linux.  I've installed it on an old computer but am not
> sure about some of the terminology and other basics.  I feel like if I
> understood just a little more I might be able to move along faster.

Two things that helped me:

1. a small book, "Linux Programmer's Reference", by Richard Petersen,
which covers in detail the shell (bash,  tcsh,  etc) and getting your
compiler to work, plus quick references for perl, tk, tcl and latex.
Very handy thing to have around.

2. The manuals that come with SuSE linux (hopefully, they still include
those manuals with the latest version). Good help with configuration
problems.

Regards,
Irv