[ale] WinModems?

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Aug 2 14:50:32 EDT 2002

So now that I finally got back my AMD T'bird-based tower back (long story),
I'm faced with what to do for dialup services. The tower came with an
Agere/Lucent WinModem chip-based modem. Has anyone out there on open-
source land been able to hack out a driver for it, or am I still looking at
a binary-only solution (assuming such an animal exists)?

I'm probably going to buy a USR non-WinModem V.92 PCI modem tomorrow (sales
tax holiday, you know), but if I can save $80 or so and be able to use my
current modem with Linux until I can sign up for broadband (hopefully within
the next month or so), I'd just assume do that, even if doing so reduces my
machine's processing power. But if I have no choice (i.e., no path from
WinModem to Linux), then I have no choice.

And have I asked this before? Apologies in advance if so.

TIA