[ale] OT: Free Color Printers

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Fri Aug 2 08:48:01 EDT 2002

Just wanted to send this out, in case there is anyone on the list that isn't
aware...

www.freecolorprinters.com

We have had 3 of these for our company for the last two years.  The *only*
thing I don't like about them is the ones we have (Phaser 850DP) only do 8.5
x 11 paper. The new one they are offering (Phaser 860DP) does legal as well.
I would love for them to start offering one that does tabloid size.

You cannot beat the program.  You apply, estimate your usage (I have it on
good faith from someone inside that the minimum is 1500 pages at 10% color
usage), and if approved, they ship you a brand new printer.  It comes with
the Duplexing option, the 500 sheet paper tray, a 3 yr on-site service
contract (the one time I had to call them, I called at about 4:00pm in the
afternoon, and the tech was there at 10:00am the following morning).

The Printer comes with:

optional duplexing unit
optional 500 sheet paper tray
optional ethernet module
optional 2 yr additional on-site agreement (total of 3 years)

All black 'ink' is free for the life of the printer (but it won't print
without color stix installed).

You own the printer after 3 years, and are then free to purchase your
supplies anywhere you want.

The best part is, you can return the printer at any time, and you are under
no further obligation.

The only catches are:

1) You have to buy all your supplies direct from Xerox.

There are non-Xerox ink supplies that are considerably cheaper, ($120, as
opposed to $190 for the Xerox branded 5 packs), but since they last so long,
and you don't have to pay anything for the printer up front (the cost would
be about $3,800, with all the options that come with it), its a pretty
darned good deal.  We go through about 5 color stix (of each color) every
6-8 months, printing about 2800 pages per month.  It costs us considerably
*less* than the toner for our older HP laser printers (laserjet 3100, 3150
and 3200's) over the same time frame.

2) You have to send Xerox a monthly usage report, which they use to see if
you are over or under your monthly estimated usage quota

   a) If you are over, no problem
   b) If you are under, they charge your CC $75
   c) If you forget to send the report, they bill your CC $100

All in all a great deal for those who don't wanna spend the almost $4,000 up
front.

Charles