[ale] OT: Office lighting

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Tue Apr 30 13:58:04 EDT 2002

Geoffrey wrote:

> Dow Hurst wrote:
>
>> Some of the newer fluorescent lighting doesn't hum very bad or flicker
>> at all.  I got an incandescent bulb replacement that was fluorescent.
>> Has a curly tube and puts out about 90watts worth of light.  It is very
>> much like white sunlight without the greenish sick hue of the past.  Go
>> to Home Depot and take a look at the displays.  You can tell which
>> lights will work.  If your really worried about interference and noise
>> then run them thru a UPS to smooth out the mains fluctuations.  Your
>> plenty geek enough to get away with that. ;)
>

> I hope so, I've rewired my whole basement. :)
>
> Well, I broke down and went out to Home Depot and picked up 6 recessed
> light fixtures along with 3 50 watt halogen bulbs.  6 Fixtures: ~$40, 3
> bulbs ~$24.  And these were the more expensive fixtures as the ceiling
> will be insulated. I figure to install three fixtures for now and see
> how that does.  I can always use the fixtures elsewhere in my basement
> if I don't like them in my office.
>
> Anyone know if you can put a dimmer on a halogen bulb???

Yeah, you can.  The downside is that because of how light dimmers work,
the bulbs can "sing" a bit.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/lights/lightdimmer.html#buzzing can
explain it as well as or better than I could.

I like using compact fluorescents as well and I thought I found a good
deal on them at Big Lots, only to get one home and find that it had that
very, very cold blue color that just plain looks wrong in a table lamp.
    These days, CFs are balanced fairly close to tungsten at least as
much as you can get via phosphors but I would prefer them a tad cooler.

In fixtures that use non-clear (i.e., frosted or cut-style glass)
globes, I like to use clear-envelope incandescents when CFs won't do;  I
  find I get more light for the same wattage.  Other than that, my eyes
really abhor a naked filament (apologies to Roger Penrose).

- Jeff