[ale] best dist for firewall?

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Mon Apr 29 17:07:16 EDT 2002

I have friends that would scoff, but I'm an avid Slackware user. All of my
machines that run Linux (meaning all but one) run Slackware. That includes
my firewall/router box.

If you're looking for a tight, locked-down distribution that can be
squeezed into small spaces, I would highly recommend Slackware. Definitely
upgrade to 2.4 and use IPTables. Compiling the kernel will take longer
than on faster machines (duh), but look at it this way. You'll only have
to do it once in a VERY long time. Just compile, reboot, sit back, and
watch your uptime soar.

As for MySQL... on a 120MHz machine with a database that's going to get
pretty big, you may want to rethink that. You could automatically shunt
the data to another box with the MySQL database using crond and scp, but
that seems like it would be a bit excessive. Any particular reason you
want to save all that data?

--
Christopher R. Curzio
http://www.accipiter.org