[ale] best dist for firewall?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Apr 29 12:09:07 EDT 2002

I'm setting up a firewall on a 120mhz, 16meg machine.  I'd like to run
iptables, snort/acid and a mysql db to store the snort info.

Any recommended distros?  It'd be nice to get something minimal (possibly
tightened) but with the 2.4 kernel (for the stateful firewalling
capabilities).  I considered Slackware or Debian and then upgrading the
kernel, but the thought of compiling on a 120mhz machine is not a happy one.
 Considering Peanut as well, but it seems to be heavily configured for the
desktop.  I guess it's a last resort.

Thanks as always,

John