[ale] Help explain please...

Arafat Mohamed amohamed at mail.totalemed.com
Sat Apr 27 14:19:38 EDT 2002

Dear Ale'rs

I'm trying to figure out how modules compiled into kernels work. In the past
in order to get sound working on my laptop I'd do a

# modprobe opl3sa2 irq=5, io=0x530, dma=1, dma2=0, mss_io=0x370

I decided to compile kernel 2.4.16 with opl3sa2 support built in. I went
through the configuration, compiled and installed kernel with no problems
except for no sound.

#dmesg
-- snip --
opl3sa2: No PnP cards found
- -snip --

I'm guessing I'm getting this because I don't have the right parameters for
sound. If I compiled sound into the kernel, is it too late to pass the
parameters now?

thanks in advance,
Arafat Mohamed