[ale] Starting a service

Kevin O'Neill Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 14:01:37 EDT 2002

What would be the most professional way to start a service on boot-up?
Currently, I am starting an application server from the command line and
running it in the back ground but I would like for the service to just
come up on boot.

How do I go about this and get a professional look such as ,

Starting sendmail      [ok]
Starting httpd         [ok]
Starting JBoss         [ok]

kind of feedback on start up.

I guess I could just put a symbolic link to the script file but is this
appropriate and professional?

TIA,

Kevin