[ale] X + SSH question

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Wed Apr 24 11:17:38 EDT 2002

John C writes:
 > Example:
 >
 > me (Internet) ----> Intermediate box (Internet/private) ---> Target box
 > (private)
 >
 > I want to run an X program on the Target box and redirect output to the "me"
 > box.
 >
 > I used to use this old xforward program, which was ok, but I'd like to use
 > SSH instead.
 >
 > What I want to do is SSH into the intermediate box, then SSH into the
 > target, export the display to the middle box, which then forwards to mine.

You are in luck.  SSH does this for you automatically.  If you turn on
X forwarding, either in your config file or with -X.  At each stage it
will tunnel X through SSH to the previous DISPLAY.  I think you can do
arbitrarily long chains of SSH logins like this.

Just "ssh -x intermediatehost" then "ssh -X remotehost"

--Michael