[ale] memory-conservative distribution

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Tue Apr 23 07:14:23 EDT 2002

John Wells wrote:
> I'm setting up an old 120mhz system with 16 megs ram to serve as a personal
> mail server.  Since RH these days requires >32mb ram, I need a system with a
> smaller footprint.
>
> I have a cd copy of slack 8.0 I was considering, but thought I'd pose the
> question to the list.  Any recommendations?

Try http://www.linux.org/dist/index.html, and select Minimalist as the category.  You'll get a nice long list of distros to choose from.  Of course you could also look at LFS (Linux From Scratch) and roll you own.  http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Of these minimalist distros, Peanut Linux is probably one of the better respected distros. http://www.ibiblio.org/peanut/

Sendmail is a memory hog, so consider one of the alternatives. (QMAIL; SMAIL; EXIM; MMDF; ZMAILER; POSTFIX)  and many more http://www.linux.org/apps/all/Daemons/Mail.html

Also, consider further optimizing the distro you decide on.  Don't settle for the default settings.
   (very short article) http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5886

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith