[ale] memory-conservative distribution

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Apr 23 07:12:55 EDT 2002

John Wells wrote:
> I'm setting up an old 120mhz system with 16 megs ram to serve as a personal
> mail server.  Since RH these days requires >32mb ram, I need a system with a
> smaller footprint.
>
> I have a cd copy of slack 8.0 I was considering, but thought I'd pose the
> question to the list.  Any recommendations?

I've successfully installed both Slack and Debian on a 486 with 12 meg
of ram. Although I don't recall the versions, it's been in the last 8
months or so.  The other possibility is to borrow ram from another box,
put it in the web server for the install, then remove it afterwards.  16
megs is plenty for a personal web server.  I've used both methods
successfully.

Also, are you sure about that 32 meg?  I thought RH had a lowmem option
that would work. It's been a while since I've attempted to tackle that
though.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net