[ale] IP aliasing and DMZ

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Apr 22 03:38:30 EDT 2002

I'm using a laptop running Redhat as both a router and firewall for my home
DSL connection.  This limits me to using two network cards (two pccard
slots).

I'd like to create a DMZ with separate IP addressing to run a mail server
and possibly an http server.

How secure is IP aliasing?  I know that DMZ's should be setup on their own
network or subnet to protect the private network.  Will IP aliasing suffice
in this situation, or will it simply provide a false sense of security?

Thanks,
John