[ale] how to "unblock" port 80

James CE Johnson jcej at tragus.org
Thu Apr 11 20:55:40 EDT 2002

My cable company (Adelphia -- they suck) recently started doing this.
Fortunately, I use zoneedit.com for my DNS hosting. They have a thing
they call "WebForwards". Basically, they set www.tragus.org (in my
case) to the IP of one of their servers. When that server responds
it uses a full-page frame'd page. Within the frame is a request to
my real host (tragus.org) on something other than port 80 (8080).

If your friend doesn't have anyone handling his DNS I highly
recommend zoneedit.com. They're free for up to 5 domains and they
cleanly support dynamic ip assignment. Once he has that all working
and the webforward setup, just edit httpd.conf to tell Apache to
listen somewhere other than 80.