[ale] mac v pc

D. Alan Stewart astewart at layton-graphics.com
Thu Apr 11 09:05:07 EDT 2002

Yes, but most of the world doesn't want to build their own (hardware or
software)  from pieces. They don't even really want to pick out all the pieces
and have someone else put it together. Most want to buy a 'toaster' that just
plugs in and works out of the box, but doesn't limit what they can do. No one
has that yet, but Apple is closer than most, if not all.

> I was kind of thinking the same thing:
>
> I don't have anything against Macs or their users but I'm a little
> surprised that such pro-Mac content would be on a Linux board since (from
> a purely religious viewpoint) Mac takes a proprietary OS then goes a step
> further and runs it on proprietary hardware.  granted, to their credit
> they actually work but so did those six E4500s I replaced last yr w/quad
> Xeons for ~1/6th the cost.
>
> this, I believe, was the point of the original question:  Apple may not be
> evil but like HP, Sun & IBM (@ least w/RS6000 & 390) their $ is out of
> line with their bang.

D. Alan Stewart
Senior Software Developer
Layton Graphics, Inc.
155 Woolco Dr.
Marietta, GA 30062
Voice: 770/973-4312
Fax: 800/367-8192
FTP: ftp.layton-graphics.com
WWW: www.layton-graphics.com

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they
are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do
not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein