[ale] please, please help with scsi problem

djinn djinn at djinnspace.com
Wed Sep 5 11:43:38 EDT 2001

I mailed earlier, I think I've got a bad hard drive and VA Linux won't
support it.  They flat refuse to help me trouble shoot b/c I am not
running the kernel they shipped with (which has problems).

I'm getting I/O errors on a device that I believe to be my primary hard
drive.  Can anyone help me figure out how to list what devices my
machine sees??  I am experiencing a definite degradation in performance
in the last day or so, and a major upswing in errors reported that look
like this:

Sep  5 11:36:04 acheron kernel: scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 1, lun 0,
CDB: Read (10) 00 01 b0 a3 a8 00 00 08 00
Sep  5 11:36:04 acheron kernel: Info fld=0x1b0a3ac, Current sd08:04:
sense key Medium Error
Sep  5 11:36:04 acheron kernel: Additional sense indicates Unrecovered
read error
Sep  5 11:36:04 acheron kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:04, sector 17043688

Now, from what little I can tell, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 is my main HDD
but I don't know.  This is a very heavily read/written device but it's
only been running for 1 month.

Please someone point me in the direction of what I should do!  I'm
afraid if I reboot to clear memory (also having problems there) that I'm
going to totally lose my machine....which is a production database
server.

jenn