[ale] arp port

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Thu Oct 25 11:44:57 EDT 2001

You're right. And if "proxy arp" had popped into my head last night, I would
also have been wondering what the hell I was thinking (as I am doing now).
Bridges/switches don't substitute their own mac address. They DO pass along
the full information, but not in a shotgun method as a hub or general
ethernet does. This is not only to cut down on traffic, but even more
importantly, it's a security measure to prevent all the other nodes from
seeing traffic not intended for them.

I got "stuck in a loop" on collision domains and couldn't break out til
after I slept  :)

matt shade
www.threekay.com