[ale] PAGE_SIZE definition in kernel

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 23 16:34:57 EDT 2001

"James P. Kinney III" wrote:

> I'm running into a problem that surpasses my kernel understanding.
>
> Vmware complains during a new modules compilation about an undefined
> PAGE_SIZE variable in the memory stuff. All sorts of includes are there.
> I go digging and, yes, in pagemap.h there is no "#define PAGE_SIZE
> blahblah". There is one defined in a.out.h . So I cheated and copied the
> def from a.out.h to pagemap.h. Vmware compiled and runs great. I then
> discovered that my current kernel didn't have a working scsi generic
> device (so I can't burn my new RH7.2 iso's :(-). So I look and I had
> left it out (2.2.12 w/SGI XFS patches) I run make xconfig, make dep,
> make bzImage and error out all over with "Unknown page size" errors.
>
> It seems to me that PAGE_SIZE should be defined "on the fly" and
> determined by architecture/memory or some other voodoo I don't
> understand. Where is it initially defined? It would be an easy (read: "I
> can do it") task to include a few other headers to follow the correct
> definition trail. But I'm _way_ out of my understanding here.
>
> And I don't want to pester the author of pagemap.* , yet (Linus).

PAGE_SIZE is defined in linux/include/asm-<architecture>/page.h.
Maybe you need to symlink /usr/include/asm to
.../linux/include/asm-i386?

Cheers,

-- Joe
# "You know how many remote castles there are along the
#  gorges? You can't MOVE for remote castles!" - Lu Tze re. Uberwald
# Linux MM docs:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html