[ale] dig works, ping doesn't ( was [ale] DNS lookups slooowwww.....)

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 10:57:56 EDT 2001

I am trying to get my machine's DNS server configured
properly.  The machine has two cards, one for internal
network and one for the external net (T1 line to
internet).  I want queries for my internal domain to
resolve via our internal DNS server, and for sites
like ale.com or kernel.org to resolve through two
external servers (38.2.3.4, 38.2.3.5)

The machine's name is fireman.  So in /etc/resolv.conf
I have:

search internalnet.com
nameserver fireman
nameserver internalnameserver

In /etc/nsswitch.conf, I have

hosts: files dns

In /etc/named.conf, I have:

options {
    forward only;
    forwarders {38.2.3.4;38.2.3.5;};
};

With this configuration, dig and nslookup work great
for both internal and external sites.  Ping works on
internal sites.  However, if I try to ping an external
host I get and "unknown host" error.  If I try to
access an external site through Mozilla, I get the
same.

I know it's probably a simple misconfiguration, but I
can't find it.  Can anyone help?  Thanks!

John