[ale] Mylex Controller story ending

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Mon Oct 8 23:41:29 EDT 2001

Hi folks,

Well, many thanks to Steve Duchene for his VaLinux
isos and to Dow Hurst for burning them for me. I appreciate your efforts, but
after a lot more reading, testing, installing, regenning kernels, etc., it all
came back to reading one of the first docs line by line. Somehow I skipped right
over the required firmware revision level line. I had assumed I might not have a
high enough revision (2.47), so I downloaded the latest for my card
(2.73) from Mylex. After continued banging of my head, I read the part that
says "2.xx will not work"!! To go to the 3.xx and 4.xx revision levels, I would
need to find a new ROM.  No joy.

So I said the hell with it. These are scsi disks,
right? Let's just bypass the controller. So after rearranging the cdrom and tape
drive, and fiddling with the cables, we're now off the dangling ide drive and
installing onto the scsi drives. While having hardware raid was a cool thought,
none of these machines lined up in this room are mission critical. Plus, I can
use software raid, should I choose to go that route.

Thanks all,
Matt (off to see if the 586/200 has a burned out
moboard or processor...fun!)