[ale] witty unix quips (say that 3 times fast!) [OT?]

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Mon Oct 8 23:24:46 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Bergeron" <christopher at bergeron.com>
To: ale at ale.org
To: "Ale" <ale at ale.org>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 9:27 PM
Subject: [ale] witty unix quips (say that 3 times fast!) [OT?]

> I once saw a list of some whitty unix quips or command line errors that
are
> comical.  Has anyone seen this list or could anyone point me to it?  I
can't
> for the life of me find it.  I just tried to do (as an example):
>
> >killall sleep
> sleep: no process killed
>
> and it reminded me of that list.  some of them are hysterical, and I'd
like
> to read it again.  any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> tia,
> CB

I saved these from somewhere, but don't recall the source. Anyway, enjoy.
-fgz

% make love
Make Don't know how to make love. Stop.

% got a light?
No match.

% sleep with me
bad character

% man Why did you get a divorce?
man Too many arguments.

% make 'heads or tails of all this'
Make Don't know how to make heads or tails of all this. Stop.

% make sense
Make Don't know how to make sense. Stop.

% make mistake
Make Don't know how to make mistake. Stop.

% \(-
(-: Command not found.

% date me
You are not superuser date not set Mon Sep 11 155230 PDT 2000

% man rear
No manual entry for rear.

% * How would you describe Clinton
* Ambiguous.

% %Vice-President
%Vice-President No such job.

% [Where is Jimmy Hoffa?
Missing ]. |

% ^How did the^sex change operation go?
Modifier failed.

% who is my match?
No match.

% awk "Polly, the ship is sinking"
awk syntax error near line 1
awk bailing out near line

% 'thou shalt not commit adultery'
thou shalt not commit adultery Command not found.