[ale] OMG politics goes digital?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Fri Nov 30 15:24:02 EST 2001

Robert Heaven wrote:

> I have the solution... stop "electing" the mouthpiece that the big money
> corporations put up for election and start "selecting" our government
> representatives by random draft of ordinary citizens. If we're smart
> enough to serve on jury duty, standing in judgement of peoples lives,
> then we're MORE than smart enough to serve in congress. Then, and ONLY
> then, will we have a government "of the people, by the people and for
> the people" instead of the mess we have now. (i.e., by the corporation,
> for the corporation)

Boy, that's an interesting thought.  The downside is that many people
are just plain fools - but you know, maybe if we lived in a society
where there was a chance that we might be chosen for a stint in public
service, then perhaps people might feel like they NEED to be able to
read and write well, engage in critical thought, show up places on time,
know the difference between a cubic foot and a furlong, etc.  I'd rather
live in THAT kind of society.

- Jeff