[ale] Satellite service

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Fri Nov 23 19:05:51 EST 2001

It's been over a year since I moved up to Kennesaw and left my
DSL behind in Buckhead. When I moved, BS told me "1st quarter 2001" DSL would be
available in my neighborhood. Mediaone (AT&T) told me the same thing for
broadband cable. Well, I'm coming up on a year past those dates, and I'm still
using dialup which gives me AT BEST 28.8kbps speeds. I decided to go the only
available route - satellite internet. I called Earthlink this week and have an
installer coming out next Thursday. I just couldn't bear the speed (or lack of)
anymore, and a year and a half is patience enough.

Is anyone else using (or has anyone else used) DirectPC? Is
there anything I should know or do beforehand? Does anyone have any experiences
(good or bad) they want to share? I have been going to dslreports.com fairly
regularly for the last year or so, and there's a lot of mixed feelings, but I
rarely see any opinions of DirectPC && Earthlink.

matt shade<A
href="http://www.threekay.com">www.threekay.com

P.S. I've tried the Ricochet/Metrocom wireless modem
thing....not much better speed and lousy tech support. And I'm about 50,000+ ft
from my CO, so even ADSL is not an option, though I wouldnt' go for it even if
it were.