[ale] opinion on Bellsouth DSL modems

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Fri Nov 23 18:53:37 EST 2001

Unless things have changed since I had Bellsouth DSL with an external modem,
the modem connected to the PC using simple twisted pair to a 10BT card. BS
provided a 3com card with the modem when mine was installed. I didn't use
it, though, and put that 3com into another machine sitting around. Anyway,
once connected, the installer called up BS and "registered" the card's mac
address, which meant I could only use that address. Over the coupla years I
had DSL, though, I would switch machines around, usually moving the card
along so the new machine could talk to the DSL network. Sometimes I would
just call up BS tech support and "register" a new mac address and it would
be up and running in minutes (aside from the time spent on hold).

I never used an internal modem, and aside from some other BS phone tech who
twice disconnected me inside the phone closet (I lived in an apartment), I
almost never had a problem with them. I was very pleased with them.

As far as linux compatible, I had made the connection using Linux while the
installer was there...he thought that was cool, because DSL was new and in
his "training" he was told only Windows would work.
matt shade
www.threekay.com