[ale] netbios names and dns?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Thu Nov 15 13:59:52 EST 2001

Can anyone shed any light on how I can make windows machines use DNS instead
of that netbios crap?!  Is that what WINS is?  I know I can do wins in
samba, but I'm not sure if this will solve my problem.

Here's the premise:

Windows machine named "sophia"
DHCP ip is given to it
DNS is given to it

I want to be able to VNC to the machine by it's DNS name(ie,
user123.domain.com) rather than "sophia".

does WINS do this?  I've been reading about this for quite a spell now, and
I believe I'm confusing myself.

and how will this affect "network neighborhood and browsing" (I +hate+
windows ugh!)

Thanks much in advance,
CB