[ale] mass deployment

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Thu Nov 15 13:38:24 EST 2001

Can anyone recommend a proggy to do mass deployment?  I've been looking at
Norton Ghost, but I was wondering what you're'all's opinions are on it.  I
have a floor of win98 boxen that can be all the same (Win98, as400 Client
Access, time sync. software, etc).  I have a few questions about ghosting:

- How do I set the name/networking prefs. of the machines?
- What if the hardware isn't the same on each box (ie different chipsets,
drive sizes, processors, etc).  How does ghost handle this?  Do all the
machines have to be identical for ghosting to work?

I'd appreciate any leads on this stuff.  I'm only using the win98 boxen for
the desktop peeps.  The servers are all linux (of course):

Samba PDC
Samba print server
Linux DNS
Apache intranet, etc...

I just want a simple way to remaster these machines without wasting my time
on windows nonsense...

Thanks much much in advance...!
-CB