[ale] Hardware Alias

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Thu Nov 15 12:36:37 EST 2001

However, after saying that, man ifconfig reminded me that certain types of
nics will allow it:

       hw class address
              Set  the hardware address of this interface, if the
              device driver supports this operation.  The keyword
              must  be followed by the name of the hardware class
              and the printable ASCII equivalent of the  hardware
              address.    Hardware  classes  currently  supported
              include ether (Ethernet), ax25 (AMPR AX.25), ARCnet
              and netrom (AMPR NET/ROM).

Rereading your original post, I'm wondering if we're even talking about the
same thing....are you wanting to create a "pseudo" nic, like a loopback
device with it's own mac address?

matt shade
www.threekay.com