[ale] Sun Ray 1 thin client..

David Brooks db at stayonline.net
Wed Nov 14 17:39:59 EST 2001

Actually, I just read up on them a little more.

Basically, the Sun Rays need a Solaris Server running the "Corona"
software to operate.  It's not an X terminal, per se.  To quote Pete
from the sparclinux list at rutgers.edu:

"Naturally, I considered [porting Corona to Linux],
but rejected. Suppose you have a Linux on Corona - it would suck
rocks. With 4MB onboard it makes for no X server, and even if
it did, Sun Ray would outperform it."

Basically the unit has 4MB of onboard memory, and this includes video
memory, which supports 1280x1024x24 bit graphics.  Do the math and you
dont have much left for anything else.  If someone could manage to port
just the server to run on a Linux machine, though, it would be a worthy
cause.  It would allow consumers to buy the thin clients and not Sun's
proprietary server software, and make it all work using an open
protocol.

Just some rantings.  I've already returned the thin client to the shelf,
seeing how its not going to be any practical use any time soon. ;)

-Dave

--
david a. brooks
* systems administrator