[ale] qmail problems

jeff tillotson ale at jeffx.com
Tue Nov 13 09:30:36 EST 2001

I have setup qmail to act as an smtp server for pager notifications.  The install process went fine and I can
connect to the port 25.  It will even accept mail from the systems that are allowed to relay (verified with
several clients).  However the mail seems to just sit on the smtp box waiting to get delivered.  If I execute
/etc/rc3.d/S80qmail stat I get messages like these:
	messages in queue: 7
	messages in queue but not yet preporcessed: 7

So far I have verified their is a DNS record for the qmail box and also that it is a MX record ( it does but it is
second in priority).  The network settings are okay.  The IP filtering is set okay ( I can connect the
messages just queue and don't send ),  The qmail box can resolve DNS and it resolves the MX records for
the mail I have sent.  The relay control works properly ( I can connect from hosts that I defined but not
from others).

I have been reading all the stuff I can find at qmail.org and currently am looking at faqts.com and am not
having much luck.  This is my first time setting up a smtp server so I don't have a great deal of experience
in it.  I think this is one of those times when I don't even know what I should be looking for.

So can someone help me out by giving me some advice or pointing me in the right direction?  I would
appreciate it.