[ale] Red Hat 7.2 trouble

Denny Chambers dchambers at snapserver.com
Tue Nov 13 08:58:45 EST 2001

"John J. Cruz" wrote:

> Those who have installed rh 7.2 have you had any problems with not being
> able to play music CDs or the printers printing enlarged images.  I have
> exhausted every possible solutions to no avail (I'm quite sure that it
> is not the audio cable between the CD-R/W drive and the on board audio
> chip) to get music CD  to play and same scenario for the printers.

I have 7.2 installed on a laptop. I haven't had any problems with either
the cd-player or the printer. Did you you do an upgrade over your 6.2?
If so I would suggest deleting your printer and re-adding it in. As for
the cd-rom, nothing useful is coming to mine right now. Are you sure
that you have sound at all? Can you play a wave file? A little more info
on the hardware would be helpfull.

> RH 7.2 is a complete install from the version of rh 6.2 that I had
> previously.  With 6.2 all work find but now  ... ?????????????
>
> I'm beginning to dislike 7.2 too many GUIs and I don't know where all
> the config files are.  Where is my lilo?

With RH 7.2, you get grub as your default boot loader. During the
install you should get a choice, but it may depend on what choices that
you've selected (Letting RH partition your drive, or partition it
yourself, etc..). You should be able to install lilo manually write a
lilo boot record out to the MBR, however GRUB is a nice boot loader
itself (IMHO) and I would recomend learn and using it.