[ale] best program for ATAPI CD-RW ???

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Nov 9 23:19:13 EST 2001

Just some details:

cdrecord is the actual program that does the burning. Everything else is
a gui frontend. I needed to burn "El Torrito" (bootable) CD's. Gcombust
was an easy route to the needed end. If I lauched it from an xterm, it
wuld print the cdrecord command line to the xterm. This allowed me to
see what was going on, and then script the process. Gcombust also acts
as a frontend to nearly anything that involves CD's and
burning/ripping/music CD's etc.  Xcdroast does nearly as much.

Look at freshmeat and search for CD or cdrecord. One caveat: they all
require the ide-scsi/generic scsi driver. To my knowledge, there is no
IDE CD burner that works without emulating scsi commands. I think there
are commands missing in the atapi stuff that are present in the scsi.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>