[ale] default devices or routes

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 12:58:37 EST 2001

I have two NICs (eth0 as external to internet, eth1 as
internal to internal net).  I have the default route
set up as going out through eth0 (external).

How do networked applications determine which device
to use?  I can ping my external DNS server but mozilla
won't resolve hosts, and in order to ping a host by
hostname I have to specify "ping -I eth0
www.yahoo.com".  Do mozilla and the like use the
routing table, or am I mistaken in my thinking?

Thanks,
John