[ale] Java/browser chat clients

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Sat May 19 23:27:57 EDT 2001

I've decided I really dislike Java/web-based chat clients.  Java
just leaves lots to be desired on Netscape and UNIX/Linux, seems
to me.  Yet, so many sites insist on using these, such as TechTV,
Yahoo, and a bunch of others I guess.

Is there a way to use a normal chat client (BitchX or XChat or
something) on these things?  Have any of you had any success with
this, or do you A) just stay away from sites that require these
tools, B) use another tool that can be made to work instead of a
Java/browser chat client, or C) put up with the Java/browser chat
client?

PS.  I tried using BitchX on TechTV (chat.techtv.com:4180), but
Apache doesn't hand off the request.  Normal chat ports seem to
be closed by default.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net