[ale] GCC compiler questions... [was: Ramdisk Error on RH 7.1 Install]

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu May 17 15:56:31 EDT 2001

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 03:27:42PM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> OK, thanks for clearing that up...
>
> Now three possibly obviously newbie questions:
>
> 1) Why does Redhat ship a compiler that won't compile the kernel, and

At least in 7.0, they included 'kgcc' which was basically egcs-1.1.2.
So they did ship a "working" compiler with that release.

It looks like 7.1 doesn't come with this, but at the same time, every
package in RH 7.1 was supposedly built with gcc-2.96-81, including the
kernel.

Hmm.  in the .spec file for the kernel srpm that comes with RH7.1, one
can find the following line:

BuildPreReq: gcc >= 2.96-82

So I can only surmise that the RH 7.1 gcc does indeed compile the linux
kernel.  Successfully, even!

A little more digging, and it seems that there are a metric f*ckton of
patches that are applied to the RH kernel.   One of 'em is
"linux-2.4.2-compilefailure.patch" that's "lots of small fixes to
warnings and other silly bugs"

So what's the verdict after all of this?  I don't know.  :)

> 2) Can you have BOTH installed, and

GCC was expressly designed so that you could have multiple versions
installed simultaneously. (man gcc, search for -B)

> 3) What are the advantages (and disadvantages) of each?

It's preferalbe, of course, to only have one compiler.   But Linux is
all about choices..

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344