[ale] Network Printer Reset

Bob Kruger krugerb at benning.army.mil
Fri May 11 10:42:21 EDT 2001

I am using a Linux box as a print server for a HP 4550 Colorjet that is
connected to our LAN with an Ethernet card.  The Linux server has Samba
running on it so that Windows users can easilly access it.

Earlier this week we had a long term power outtage that outlasted the
UPS.  The server went down, but the printer was on another circuit and
stayed up.  This occured while a large print job was going out to the
printer.  When everything came back up, the file was half printed and
the system would not automatically clear itself.

I've come up with a simple script to clear the print spool directories
on reboot.  Is there a way to send an init string to the printer via
TCP/IP?

Regards - Bob Kruger