[ale] What were they thinking?

Jeffrey B Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Tue May 8 06:39:53 EDT 2001

I will second that comment. I've been using KDE since early 1.0.
It has been my primary desktop during that whole time. Up to
last week I was using a RH 6.2 system (with updates) and
KDE 2.0.1. Then this weekend I reformatted and installed
RH 7.1 with KDE 2.1.1. The speed difference is VERY noticeable.
Doing anything in 2.1.1 is MUCH slower than anything in 2.0.1.
My machine is a PIII/500 with 384 Megs of memory and a fast
IDE. It shouldn't be this slow.

I hate to do, but after perhaps 3 years I'm going to have to
switch desktops. I've tried icewm and liked it very much (OK
it's not a desktop but a windows manager) but Gnome for
me has ALWAYS been unstable. In fact, at work we have 5
VERY highpowered Linux workstations running Gnome. About
once a week I get a system lock-up due to Gnome (I haven't
sent in any kind of bug report, but sifting through the logs and
from the user's comments, it's pretty clear that Gnome is the
culprit).

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good Window
Manager or Desktop besides KDE or Gnome?

Thanks,

Jeff Layton