[ale] What were they thinking?

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Tue May 8 05:33:06 EDT 2001

Believe me, I am a longtime KDE fan.  I am not making up the response
problems we had.

But, our environment is sort of demanding.  We run it on a laptop with
about a 500Mhz processor and 128MB of RAM.  Just to give you an idea, at
the place where I work, our software has to run a bunch of motif GUIs,
about a dozen server processes.  We normally also run VMware to
demonstrate some MS-Windows interface compatibility.  Let's just say
that even without the VMware, the demo slowed to a crawl.

It wouldn't be so notable, but we didn't have this problem with the
older gnome setup and the 1.x version of KDE.  In fact, 1.x KDE was our
preferred environment.

-Eric.